Liverpool Public School opened in October 1863, with Mr Frederick Ransom Seaborn as teacher. The school building was a simple weatherboard structure with shingled roof. Whist there is no record of initial enrolment, by the end of 1863 there were 50 students registered as enrolled.
By 1951, Liverpool Central School as it was called, had an enrolment of nearly 2200 students with a teaching staff of 60. During this period, the school grounds were almost entirely covered with portable rooms and the playground was designated as a ‘walk only’ area.
With the opening of Liverpool Girls’ High School in 1954 and Liverpool Boys’ High School in 1955, the secondary sections of the school moved leaving the infants and primary departments to become known as Liverpool Primary School. Read a letter from the Parents and Citizens Association (JPG 312KB) announcing the new name at the beginning of the school year in 1955.
Images from the past
Below are a series of selected images from the last 150 years. Where possible, every effort has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the dates provided.
Celebrating 150 years of learning in 2013
Liverpool Public School celebrated its 150th anniversay in 2013.
A heritage day was held on Tuesday 30 July 2013 as part of our year of celebration. The school was transformed back in time as students and staff spent a day discovering what school life was like in 1863.
An open day was held on Saturday 19 October 2013 and well attended by many current and former students, staff and community members. Our local member of parliament presented our school with a certificate of appreciation for 150 years of learning.
Further information on the history of Liverpool and Liverpool Public School
The following websites offer further opportunities to find our more about the history of our school and local area: